Though computerized order flow in financial market begun in 1970, it was introduced in India in the year 2009. Automated Trading System also refers to as Algo Trading or Algorithmic Trading. Traders’ task is only to provide instructions to the computer, after that, the computer will execute its task by itself. In India, The system’s popularity has been on a rise right now. World’s trading one-third percent comes from Algo Trading. Today you will get a brief overview of the specific subject along with its strategy and example.
What is the Automated Trading System or Algo Trading?
In order to understand Algo Trading, you need to understand the Algorithm first. An algorithm is a specific set of clearly defined instruction to be followed in calculations especially by a computer. As manual speeds and frequency are much lower than a computer, traders use this system by providing a defined set of instructions or algorithms. Therefore, by using automated pre-programmed trading instructions, orders can be executed through Algo Trading. In India, most commonly used Algo is Application Programming Interfaces (API).
Automated Trading or Algo Trading Strategies
There are few common Algo Trading strategies. These are as follows:
- Trend-following Strategies
- Arbitrage Opportunities
- Index Fund Rebalancing
- Mathematical Model Based Strategies
- Trading Range (Mean Reversion)
- Volume Weighted Average Price (VWAP)
- Time Weighted Average Price (TWAP)
- Percentage of Volume (POV)
- Implementation Shortfall
- Sideways Market Strategy
Now let’s come to the importance and limitation of the Algo Trading.
Importance of Automated Trading System
- There is no risk of manual error and emotional up-downs in the Automated Trading. In human trading, fear and greed control the trade to some extent but in computerize trading, there is no such scope.
- A large number or order can be placed within a short time span. For this reason, this Algo trading is widely used among HNIs (high net worth individual).
- Time and speed are the two main factors of trading. Automated trading can trade in a short time frame with high speed in comparison to manual trade.
- Traders can save enough time as they don’t have to monitor the market so often.
Limitation of Automated Trading System
- The Algo Trading works worst in the sideways market. It only works properly in a clear up and downtrend. For this reason, HNIs use the system more in comparison to retail traders.
- The instructions are quite difficult to learn, it will take much time.
- For applying the system, you need to have a very good computerize system, proper net connection, and other equipment.
- Primary users of this system are intraday traders.
You can get this particular system in Amibroker – Pi (Pi bridge), Amibroker – Kite (Kite connect API), Directly writing code on Pi / Using Python.
The old way is (Nest Trader + Nest Pulse or Nest Trader + Amibroker + Nest Plus)
Besides this, there is Zerodha, they have introduced streak for algo trading without any coding knowledge. There you can get the opportunity to trade by using Automated or Algo Trading System. On the front page, you will get a video link. This video will guide you on the Algo Trading. Besides this, general Algo features like Backtest, Baskets, Algo instruction sample, basic guide are available there. We will go for a brief discussion regarding Backtest, Baskets, VPS later.
From there, you can do Algo Trade.
Lastly, I would like to conclude my article by adding some of the most important points. These points will help you in every way in Algo Trading. I have mentioned earlier that there are many strategies, come under the Automated Trading System, such as Trend-following strategies, Sideways market strategies etc. Now, the question is, how do you know these strategies will surely work out on your chosen securities. There are few steps available by which you can sure about your preference.
In order to play safe, you can apply these strategies on a bulk of securities, refers to as Basket. Therefore, Basket is a collection of instruments. You can create multiple baskets, each basket contents 20 scripts. After adding your strategies on baskets, you can run a Backtest. This will help you to identify the top-performing Algos and also the top performing stocks. You can run algo only on well performing stocks with well performing strategies to get a must better result.
Now, come to the main point. Suppose for some reasons your server is down or your net connection interrupted. What will you do then? Your entire hard work, time, money will go in vain. This should not be done. There is a server, called VPS (Virtual Private Server). You have to hire this specific server which can run multiple operating systems.
One thing you should remember that sometimes manual checking is important. Problems may arise at any time in anywhere exchange, brokers. For this reason, manual monitoring is important.
A link is attached below, by which you can see a simple Algo trading in Nest Trader using a plugin called Nest Pulse.
However, this Algo trading certainly carries a positive overview. If you understand the system properly, you can certainly generate lumpsum profit. Before everything, you need to gather enough knowledge regarding the Algo Trading System and Instructions. The popularity of this system reaches the peak. Besides HNI, retail traders also start investing by using this Automated Trading System. You can find a discussion of SEBI (Securities and Exchange Board of India) on Strengthening of the Regulatory Framework for Algorithmic Trading and Co-location. You will find all of the significant information regarding Algorithmic Trading from this given link of SEBI here.