A Draft Red Herring Prospectus, also refer as offer document, is released when a company is planning to raise capital from the public. It provides detailed information about its business operations s well as financials. In this context, I will discuss the definitions, features, and usage of the prospectus. When a company that is planning to raise money from the public provides detailed information about its business operations and financials in the DRHP.
Draft Red Herring Prospectus FAQ
Generally, a red herring prospectus is a preliminary registration document or prospectus. The company submits it as part of a public offering of securities (either stocks or bonds). And The SEBI places the draft offer document on its website.
There are different types of the prospectus. Some of these are as follows:
Red Herring Prospectus.
A red herring prospectus is a type of prospectus that contains most of the information about the company’s operations and prospects. It does not include any key details of the security issue, such as its price and the number of shares offered.
It is a prospectus or document that has been filled with the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission). The main purpose of the prospectus is to determine the extent of public interest in an issue. And it is called red herring because of the red ink around the front page border.
Key Points on Draft Red Herring Prospectus
- The prospectus contains details about its promoters, the reason for raising money, how the money will be used, risks involved with investing in the company and so on.
- Investors should remember that it does not provide information about the price or size of the offering.
- The issuer company approaches a merchant banker to prepare the offer document.
- The banker takes care of the legal compliance issues as well as ensure that investors are aware of the public issue.
- The DRHP is a very powerful tool. It provides all the necessary information about the company to help investors for making an informed decision.
- This prospectus can function as a source of information regarding a potential offering.
More about Draft Ref Herring Prospectus
In the versions of the draft red herring prospectus that have not been fully reviewed by the SEC may present a company in a particularly favorable light. This type of view may be adjusted after the SEC has requested revisions before final approval. This contains substantial information on the company as well as information regarding the intended use of proceeds from the offering, the market potential for its product/service, financial statement.
Where can Investors Find a Company’s DRHP?
Investors can access a company’s Draft Red Herring Prospectus on multiple platforms. Like, you can get it from the company website, the merchant banker website, stock exchange websites or the Sebi website. These announcements are also made in newspapers in various languages as per the rules.
For example, here I place Prince Pipes and Fittings company’s DRHP (draft red herring prospectus). A few days back, the company released its IPO. Our team analyzes and declares the IPO as an avoidable and risky one. So we warn our clients not to invest in the IPO. After releasing the IPO, it didn’t reach any good. We are doing our IPO analysis, mostly based on the DRHP information.
Benefits of a Red Herring
- A red herring prospectus can function as an information source about a potential offering.
- Versions of the DRHP that the SEC has not fully reviewed. It may present a company “too” favorably.
- And before final approval, after the SEC request revisions, this view may be adjusted.
- Basically, it contains substantial information on the company. Besides this, there is information about the usage of proceeds from the offering, product or service, financial data.
However, the investors can access a company’s Draft Red Herring Prospectus on various platforms of the company website, the merchant banker website, stock exchange or SEBI websites.