Opening range breakout (ORB) is one of the simplest day trading set-ups to understand. The first hour OR first half-hour of the trading day is the most volatile. Bears and bulls are battling it out in the stock market, trying to show you who’s going to be the boss for the day. This volatility creates a price-range you can trade from. You can trade this opening range breakout. Like all breakout trading set-ups, this is a great set-up because it offers a very low-risk entry.
How to trade opening range breakout?
ORB is a well-known concept discovered by Toby Crabel. It is a variation of the classic N-bar breakout system. This concept is so widely talked about because it works. I will show you a new twist of the concept that is never discussed anywhere else.
What does the opening range breakout trading system do?
- It identifies the highest price and lowest price reached since open up to the Start Time and also takes into consideration the range of the previous day.
- Long on a stop at the desired percentage and short on a stop at the desired percentage obtained in #1.
- Only trade once per direction, so at most 1 long and 1 short position taken per day.
- Always exit at the end time of the day.
- When the range of previous trading sessions is above a certain threshold of the average range of the previous trading days, no trade is taken for the day.
How to Use the Opening Range Breakout Calculator Wisely?
You enter high and low of the previous trading sessions as well as enter high and low of the current session. You enter the desired percentage of stop and profit target and voila, the system automatically calculates the entry price, target, and stop-loss for you.
So, traders and investors have always dreamed of magical formulas or Holy Grails to make huge profits. There is no such system in this universe, however, experience may make one as a perfect trader.
Here, I’ve come with a proven example of the orb strategy. Out Stockmaniacs team (CEO Indrajit Mukherjee) develop an APP through which trading calls are generated. There many of our calls hit, based on this specific strategy.
More Information about ORB
- You can see a person who can slip and fell down even he walks inside his home safely; at the same time, another person balances his weight and walk on the rope tied between two buildings. Day Traders are like the man who walks on the rope. For every achievement, there are certain rules. Learn the Rules; never break your Own Rules. Be an achiever whatever the strategy you use. All the Best.
- More information on the ORB system or strategies has been posted on our early morning trader page.
However, the interesting part is the system is written in formula and can be used for any stock, index, commodity or forex with proper liquidity.