Hindustan Unilever Limited is a leader in FMCG space. It is a large-cap company and belongs to Nifty 50 group of companies. It has good weightage and HUL share price movement influences movement in the benchmark index.
HUL Share Price Graph
Hindustan Unilever Limited or HUL was a subsidiary of Lever Brothers, England. Back in 1931, the Lever Brothers set up its first Indian subsidiary Hindustan Vanaspati Manufacturing company. In 1933 it set up another Indian subsidiary, the Lever Brothers India Limited followed by another, United Traders Limited in 1937. These three companies were merged together to form Hindustan Unilever Limited or HUL in 1956.
In fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) space Unilever (earlier Lever Brothers) is the world leader. Likewise its Indian subsidiary HUL is a leader in Indian FMCG space. Numerous brand names in FMCG space are household names in common Indian household. Sunlight, Lifebuoy, Lux, Pears, Vim etc. are such brand names which were marketed in India long before independence. These brands have the same popularity today. Products from other FMCG companies of India could not replace them, such is goodwill of HUL in the Indian market.
In every subsection of the FMCG sector in India, there is a leading brand from HUL. This has been possible by many merger and acquisitions (M&A) from HUL. HUL took over BROOKE BOND and LIPTON – the two leaders in packaged tea leaf which made HUL leader in this sector. Likewise, it acquired Modern food from the Indian Government to expand its wheat and bread business. This acquisition helped them to take pole position in this space. M&A with Ponds (India) Ltd made them a leader in personal care products. Acquisition of Cooked Shrimp and Crab Meat from Amalgam Group of companies made them a leader in Marine Food export business.
Today their products are manufactured from 37 manufacturing units spread across length and breadth of India. Today products from these factories are distributed to 6.3 million retail outlets covering the entire urban population of India and also serving 250 million rural people of India.
In 2012, HUL made MOU with Unilever to manufacture, market and distribute the ‘Brylcreem’ brand, leading brand in Men’s hair care.
HUL share price is Rs 1096.10 (as on 20.06.17, EOD) in BSE. As per the latest data, the standalone basis P/E is 52.81 versus average industry PE of 50.08, EPS is Rs 20.74. Market cap is Rs 2,37,095 crores. The face value of a share is Rs 1.
HUL share price closed at Rs 1607.65 on 01 November 2018 in the NSE. The present market cap is Rs 348789.88 crores. The earning per share or EPS is Rs 26.48 as per the average trailing 12 months data. The price over earning ratio or P/E stands at 62.41. The Book Value per share is Rs 33.73. The price over book value ratio or P/BV 48.77. The Dividend yield is 1.22%. The 52 weeks high price is Rs 1808.65 and 52 weeks low is Rs 1226.35.
Hindustan Unilever Ltd. more commonly known as HUL is a Large Cap company. The company operates in the Indian FMCG sector.
HUL earns its revenue from mostly from the sale of FMCG products distributed all over India. But there are other sources of earning as well. HUL key products and the revenue segments include Personal Care products the sales of which contributed Rs 16132.00 crores amounting to 45.80 % of total sales, sales of Home Care contributed Rs 11464.00 crore to amounting to 32.55 % of the total sales value, sales from other products contributed Rs 5181.00 crores to equivalent to 14.71 % of total sales value, sales from foods which contributed Rs 1147.00 crore equivalent to 3.25 % of total sales, sales from others contributed Rs 695.00 crores equivalent to 1.97 % of total sales and other operating revenue contributed Rs 599.00 crores amounting to 1.70 % of the total sales value for the financial year ending 31 March 2018.
For the quarter ended 30 September 2018, HUL reported a standalone sales of Rs 9138.00 crores, down by -2.33 % from last quarter sales of Rs 9356.00 crore and up by 11.45 % from the last year same quarter sales of Rs 8199.00 crore. The company reported a net profit after tax of Rs 1525.00 Crore in the latest quarter.
The top management of HUL includes Mr Aditya Narayan, Dr Sanjiv Misra, Mr Dev Bajpai, Mr O P Bhatt, Mr Leo Puri, Mr Pradeep Banerjee, Mr Sanjiv Mehta, Mr S Ramadorai, Ms Kalpana Morparia, Mr Srinivas Phatak.
HUL has appointed M/S BSR & Co. LLP as its auditors.
As on 30 September 2018, the company has a total of 2,164,648,943 nos of shares outstanding.
The shareholding pattern of the company currently has different shareholders in the manner as stated below.
- Shares held by different mutual fund companies (portfolio as on 30 September 2018)The foreign institutions or FIIs hold 262,102,593 nos of shares amounting to 12.11% of total shares.
- The foreign promoters hold 1,454,412,858 nos of shares or 67.19% of total shares.
- The non-banking financial institutions or NBFCs and mutual funds together hold 37,888,704 nos of shares or 1.75% of total shares.
- Others hold 45,509,155 nos or shares or 2.10% of total shares.
- General public holds 244,296,760 nos of shares which is equivalent 11.29% of total shares.
- Financial Institutions hold 120,438,85 nos of shares or 5.56% of total shares.
- In addition, the Central Government holds 20 nos or 0.00% of shares.
Shareholding pattern of different mutual funds
- SBI mutual funds in the scheme ETF Nifty 50-D which is a Large Cap Fund have 6532918 nos of shares having a valuation of Rs 1050.75 crores.
- SBI mutual fund in the scheme ETF Sensex which is a large-cap fund holds 2520403 nos of shares which is equivalent to Rs 405.19 crores.
- ICICI Prudential mutual fund in the scheme Balanced Advantage Direct-Growth which is a Dynamic Asset Allocation fund holds 2186236 nos of shares equivalent to Rs 351.63 crores.
- Aditya Birla mutual funds in the scheme SL Frontline Equity Fund Direct-G which is a Large Cap Equity Fund have 1930577 nos of shares having a valuation of Rs 310.51 crores.
- DSP mutual fund in the scheme Equity Savings Fund Direct-Growth which is a Hybrid Equity Savings fund holds 6000 nos of shares amounting to Rs 0.96 crores.
For more information on other companies kindly visit our stock technicals page.