The State Bank of India (SBI) is a large cap PSU bank belonging to the Nifty 50 group. For this reason, SBI share price influences the benchmark index.
SBI Share Price Graph
State Bank of India is the largest and oldest bank in India. sBI started its journey long ago. This bank was established by English Colonials to help the Indian economy for the sake of Europeans and Indians in 1806. It was primarily an Anglo Indian venture and was named as Bank of Calcutta. Three years later it was named as Bank of Bengal, in 1809. After India achieved Independence, this bank emerged as the premier bank of India in the present name. Later smaller banks were amalgamated to this bank to form the largest bank in India. It is also the biggest PSU bank in India.
Today, even in the remotest corner of India one can find a branch of SBI or its ATM, at the least. People living in remote and far away places are immensely benefitted from this bank because of its vast network. The modern Indian economy has made the SBI as one of its important carriers. Today SBI offers the following services to its customers.
- Retail/ Personal Banking
- Corporate Banking Services
- International Banking
- NRI banking services
- Agriculture / Rural
- Government Business
- Domestic Treasury
- Depository services
- Demat and stock trading facilities
- Mutual funds
- All other modern banking facilities
SBI has been leading the banking sector in India and has been awarded many times for award of excellence in the banking sector.
SBI share price is Rs 271.05 (as on 30.06.17, 09.56 hrs.) in BSE. As per the latest data, the standalone basis P/E is 22.44 versus average industry P/E of 20.04, EPS is Rs 12.15. Market cap is Rs 2,35,267 crores. The face value of a share is Rs 1. The Net NPA to Net Advance ratio is 3.71%.
The closing share price of SBI on 15 November 2018 is Rs 285.40 in NSE. The earning per share or EPS is Rs -15.76 calculated over the past 12 months performance. The price over earning ratio or P/E is -18.11. The book value per share or BV is Rs Rs 263.25. The price over book value or P/BV is 1.08. The dividend yield is 0%. The 52 weeks high price is Rs 346.70 and 52 weeks low price is Rs 232.35.
The quarterly audited report ending on 30 September 2018 shows that the income from interest/ discount on advance/ bills was Rs39,475.93 crores. The income on investment was Rs 20,541.11 crores. SBI reported that it earned Rs 261.11 crores from interest from balance kept with RBI. Income from other avenues was Rs 1,148.70 crores and earning from other operating income was Rs 17,875.87 crores. Profit before tax in this quarter was Rs 1,950.34 crores. The net profit stood at Rs 576.46 crores. The earning per share in this quarter was slightly better which was Rs 0.65.
The value of net NPA value (non-performing assets) was Rs 0 crores and that of gross NPA was also Rs 0 crores.
State Bank of India, popularly known as SBI, is a banking company (having a market cap of Rs 253190.55 Crore). It is the largest public sector bank in India. The lions share of government funds are distributed through the State Bank Of India. Also, most of the government funding for different projects are done through this bank. SBI is considered as the leading public sector bank or PSU Bank in India.
The key revenue segments of State Bank of India include interest & discount on advances & bills which contributed Rs 141363.17 crores amounting to 64.11% of total sales value. The income From investments contributed Rs 70337.62 crore to the sales value amounting to 31.89% of total sales value, revenue from interest on balances with RBI and Other Inter-Bank Funds contributed Rs 6548.53 crores to the total sales value or 2.96 % of total sales value and income from interest contributed Rs 2250.00 crore equivalent to 1.02% of total sales value for the year ending 31 March 2018.
The Bank reported a Gross Non-Performing Assets (Gross NPAs) of Rs 0.00 % of total assets and Net Non Performing Assets (Net NPAs) of 0.00% of total assets.
For the quarter ended 30 September 2018, the SBI reported an interest income of Rs 39475.93 crores (consolidated), down by -1.10% from the last quarter interest income of Rs 39916.90 crores and up by 7.54% from the last year same quarter interest income of Rs 36707.51 crores.
The shareholding pattern of SBI currently has different shareholders in the manner mentioned below.
- The promoters and promoter group of companies together hold 5,149,314,961 nos of shares that are equivalent to 57.70% of total shares.
- The foreign institutions or FIIs hold 898,753,544 nos of shares amounting to 10.07% of total shares.
- 123,170,680 nos of shares which are equivalent to 1.38% of total shares are subscribed to the GDR.
- The non-banking financial institutions or NBFCs and mutual funds together hold 1,078,656,650 nos of shares or 12.09% of total nos of shares.
- Financial institutions hold 1,010,274,332 nos of shares amounting to 11.32% of total shares.
- General public holds 73,673,204 nos of shares which is equivalent to 5.31% of total shares.
- Others hold 186,282,646 nos or shares or 2.09% of total shares.
- In addition, the Central Government holds a total number of 4,461,517 nos shares which are equivalent to 0.05% of total nos of shares.
Shares held by different mutual fund companies
- SBI mutual fund in the scheme Equity Hybrid Direct-G which is an aggressive hybrid fund holds 44000000 nos of shares equivalent to Rs 1238.16 crores.
- HDFC mutual fund in the scheme Equity Direct-G which is an equity multi-cap fund holds a total of 70030851 nos of shares equivalent to Rs 1970.67 crores.
- HDFC mutual fund in the scheme Balanced Advantage Direct-G which is a dynamic asset allocation hybrid fund holds a total of 109082476 nos of shares equivalent to Rs 3069.58 crores.
- ICICI Prudential mutual fund in the scheme Equity & Debt Fund Direct-Growth which is a hybrid aggressive hybrid equity fund holds 44428411 nos of shares equivalent to Rs 1250.22 crores.
- DSP mutual fund in the scheme Equity Opportunities Direct Plan-Growth which is a large & mid cap fund holds 8932264 nos of shares amounting to Rs 251.35 crores.
For more information on other companies, kindly visit the stock technicals page.