THE CHARTERED MARKET TECHNICIAN (CMT) PROGRAM
What is Chartered Market Technician?
Chartered Market Technician (CMT) Program is a certification process in which candidates are required to demonstrate proficiency in a broad range of technical analysis subjects.
CMT is the Only Designation for Technical Analysts that Qualifies as a Series 86 Exemption as Recognized by FINRA. The Market Technicians Association’s Accreditation Committee is responsible for these exams. The program consists of three levels of exams testing the student’s competency at each level. The exams are cumulative in scope. The first two levels are multiple choice exams. The third level is an essay exam.
The objectives of the CMT Program are:
• To guide candidates in mastering a professional body of knowledge and in developing analytical skills;
• To promote and encourage the highest standards of education; and
• To grant the right to use the professional designation of Chartered Market Technician (CMT) to those members who successfully complete the Program and agree to abide by the MTA Code of Ethics.
The following are requirements that must be met by all CHARTERED MARKET TECHNICIAN Program candidates:
• The CMT candidate is required to be either an MTA Member or MTA Affiliate continuously (dues paid) throughout the CMT process, and must agree to abide by the MTA Code of Ethics.
• While MTA Affiliates may enroll in and successfully complete the CMT Program, only full Members of the MTA will be awarded and permitted to use the CMT designation.
• Continuous MTA membership, upholding the MTA Code of Ethics, and such other requirements, as determined, from time to time, by the MTA Board of Directors.
• An MTA Affiliate who successfully completes the CMT Program will be credited with two years toward the five-year experience required for becoming an MTA Member, should that person choose to apply for MTA Member status in the future.
• An MTA Affiliate who successfully completes the CMT Program does not automatically become an MTA Member; the affiliate must apply separately to become an MTA Member. Enrolling in and/or completion of the CMT Program by Members or Affiliates is voluntary, not a requirement.
REGISTRATION AND EXAM FEES
• CHARTERED MARKET TECHNICIAN Program Registration Fee: $250
* This fee covers the entire five (5) years in which the candidate can complete the Program and is not refundable.
• Level 1 Exam Fee: $250
* CMT Program fee and Level 1 exam fee must be paid when first registering for the Program – Total $500. This does not include the MTA annual dues.
• Level 2 Exam Fee: $450
• Level 3 Exam Fee: $450
CMT EXAM TEST CENTERS
• Testing locations are available at over 300 sites worldwide.
• Not all exam sites listed will be available for each sitting. Please confirm at registration.
NOTIFICATION OF EXAM RESULTS
• CMT Level 1 and Level 2 test takers can normally expect to receive their test score immediately upon completion of the exam provided a psychometric review is not to be conducted. As the program continues to evolve, if there is to be a psychometric review, all will be notified of this in a timely fashion. The Fall 2010 administration will not provide immediate scoring for CMT Levels 1 & 2 Exams.
• Results for CMT 3 will be announced within 90 days.
The CMT Exam Program is designed to be SELF-STUDY. The MTA Accreditation Committee has recommended the following minimum study hours for CMT exams, based on having a general college education and a background working in the financial markets.
How study much time does it typically take candidates to prepare for the exams?
• Level 1 – 100 hours
• Level 2 – 140 hours
• Level 3 – 160 hours
OTHER QUESTIONS? PLEASE CONTACT THE MTA HEADQUARTERS OFFICE AT 646-652-3300 or check their site here.
Indrajit is a professional blogger and Trading System developer, Amibroker expert, Wordpress expert, SEO expert and Stock market analyst. Trading since 2000, he has started the journey of StockManiacs.net on 2008. He follows Indian and world stock markets closely.